Welcome! We are glad you are here.

Please note that this blog is a brand new adventure, so keep coming back for more posts!

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Chinese Dragon Handprint



We love celebrating holidays in our house! I did this super cute project with my younger two girls. They had lots of questions about Chinese New Year, and I got to learn a lot as I researched the answers to their questions. Art has such a wonderful way of teaching about life!!!

Materials
::12x18 paper
::Paint--we used red, yellow, orange and green
::google eyes (optional)
::little hands that are willing to get messy



First, we looked at pictures of a traditional Chinese New Year dragon costume. We talked about the bright colors, and how the person wears it, and the parades they dance in. Have your child draw a line on their paper that mimics the curves of the long dragon.

Next, we are going to "follow" the line with our hands. Do this first withOUT paint. Next, you will help the child paint colors (one at a time) on their hands and they can continue to follow the line.



For the head, we just painted the palms of the hand.

To finish with the legs and the furs around the head, the girls dipped just their fingers in to paint these parts.



After it was dry, they went back in with a white crayon and drew teeth. We also added google eyes on pom-poms. This part can be omitted--gives it a bit more of a "crafty" look, but the girls loved it!!!


This one is by the two-year old!! Not Bad.

9 comments:

Little Family Fun said...

So cute! I love your creative ideas!
Linda

Joanna Davis said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE these! i am an elementary art teacher and will do this come chinese new year next year!

The Bucks said...

That is awesome!

Student Entrepreneur said...

LOVE it!! thanks

Shannon b said...

this looks like great (messy) fun! My kids would love it. We celebrated Chinese New Year on a very small scale this year . . . but this would be lots of fun for next year! Thanks!

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

Visiting from the Idea Room, and I definitely love your blog. Cute ideas!! And your collages are so darling. My favorite artwork is when the kids use their hands, and you see those sweet little fingerprints. :)

Unknown said...

My boys would love this! Thanks for all the great ideas

Heidi said...

awww...what a cute idea...love it!

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

I know this is older, but I just saw it & LOVE it! This is super cute! I’d love for you to link up at my kid oriented TGIF Linky Party – http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties – I know my readers would love this too!!
Beth =-)
..

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio